Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Known World, 8 miles per hexby Thorfinn Tait
Replica of TM1, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Replica of TM2, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, March 2009
Combined replica of TM1 and TM2, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, March 2009
Combined replica of Rules Cyclopedia, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, last revised 1 February 2016
1991 saw the release of the Rules Cyclopedia, compiling all of the rules from the BECMI era into a single volume. The book also included a short gazetteer of the Known World, with more than 10 pages of maps.
According to Bruce Heard, the Rules Cyclopedia‘s maps were taken directly from the TM1 and TM2 trail maps, so they are identical to those maps in most respects. This replica presents the maps in combined form, so it’s possible to see at a glance what areas the Rules Cyclopedia covers.
Sources: GAZ1 The Grand Duchy of Karameikos (1987), GAZ2 The Emirates of Ylaruam (1987), GAZ3 The Principalities of Glantri (1987), GAZ4 The Kingdom of Ierendi (1987), GAZ5 The Elves of Alfheim (1988), GAZ6 The Dwarves of Rockhome (1988), GAZ7 The Northern Reaches (1988), GAZ8 The Five Shires (1988), GAZ9 The Minrothad Guilds (1988), GAZ10 The Orcs of Thar (1989), GAZ11 The Republic of Darokin (1989), GAZ12 The Golden Khan of Ethengar (1989), GAZ13 The Shadow Elves (1990), GAZ14 The Atruaghin Clans (1991), Dawn of the Emperors (1989), TM1 The Western Countries (1989), TM2 The Eastern Countries (1989) and PC3 The Sea People (1990). Also PC1 Tall Tales of the Wee Folk (1989), PC4 Night Howlers (1992), Wrath of the Immortals (1992) and Champions of Mystara (1993).
Notes on TM1
Notes on TM2
- Fonts - Country/Province names: 15.7-15.9 Feinen Bold; Major Sea names (seas, major bodies of water): 15.7 Feinen Bold; Minor Sea names (minor seas, bays, lakes): 12.7-13 Feinen Italic; Island/Dominion names: 12.7 Feinen Regular; Terrain Features (mountains, hills, fjords, reefs, marshes, plains, mountain passes, deserts, etc): 11.1-11.3 Feinen Bold; Rivers: 9.6-9.7 Feinen Italic; Fauna: 9.7 Feinen Regular; Settlements and Minor Terrain Features: 7.9-8 Feinen Bold. All labels in all capitals (except for a single battlefield label).
- Spelling Errors - Sandstone Ciffs (should be Sandstone Cliffs).
To Do List
Finish making replica of TM2.
Create a combined replica of TM1 and TM2. (And watch my computer explode from the stress.)
- Write notes on all the featured areas, comparing them with other sources.
- Update all the individual country maps.
- Create an updated trail map of the Known World area.
About Replica Maps
Unlike Updated maps, Replica maps are exact (or sometimes colourised) replicas of primary source maps. These source maps form the main source material of the Atlas of Mystara, from which all of the updated maps are made. Put simply:
- Replica maps present the world of Mystara as the original source materials depict it, warts and all. No attempt has been made to fix errors of any kind — even typos. Replica maps are always marked as such on this site.
- Updated maps present the Atlas of Mystara‘s consistent view of the world, with all errors, alignment issues, and so on fixed. Anything not marked as a replica map is an updated map.