Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
The Masquerade (AC1009)by Sean Meaney
DM BACKGROUND: The rock juts from the sea about a mile from the coast. Where once it graced little more than a wooden house and a shed; the Rock is now dominated by a Fortress. Now a new threat is looming as the week without magic begins at midnight.
- THE LANDING: This paved stone dock is dominated by a cradle for a flying boat.
- THE PLAZA: The vast plaza of fitted stones. Currently it is occupied by a large table, and an assortment of Foods and fine wares. There is a large set aside for dancing and a gathering of musicians and entertainers.
- NORTH EAST WATCHTOWER: Perched on a pinnacle of rock, this tower is the primary barracks. It is connected to the vast plaza by a stone bridge. A second stone bridge extends to an observation platform overlooking the landing.
- OBSERVATION DECK: Connected to the keep by little more than a stone bridge, this paved stone platform is used to watch the Landing though the Baron often uses it for breakfasts.
- THE KEEP: This huge Keep of reinforced stone with twenty feet thick walls is the Primary Residence of the Baron of Rokarn and his guests.
- THE WIZARDíS TOWER: This is home to the Baronís Research Laboratory and Library.
- SOUTH WEST WATCH TOWER: This is the Secondary Barracks.
Guests begin arriving at the Fortress of Rotharn during the mid-afternoon by various means, including Magic. Amongst the guests is the still unmarried Prince Valen Karameikos, The predatory Lenora Penhaligon looking to hook the young Prince, and Arturo Sulescu (an adopted son of Lord Sulescu) visiting from the College of Magic in Glantri. If the PCs are unwed nobles of a suitable age, they might find themselves invited. Otherwise PCs might be servants of the Baron tasked with some role such as keeping watch from the South Tower (there is a statue there).
A MASQUERADE BALL
The current Baron Rotharn has invited young unmarried Nobles of both sexes to enjoy each otherís company and get to know each other in a relaxed social setting. The night is festive as many guests indulge themselves in a rare opportunity. Despite the fact it is near winter, the Plaza is toasty warm - protected by climate control magic.
DINNER IS SERVED
The evening shifts from the dance floor to the dinner table where the guests who met one another might get the chance to interact over food and drink.
IT BEGINS TO SNOW
Magic fails worldwide. This is the beginning of the week without magic. For the Guests, it simply means that a cold chill wind blows across the diners and snow falls from the sky forcing them to retreat to the Great hall inside the Keep.
Unbeknownst to the Baron and his guests, some villain has placed an assortment of Killers on the island using a STATUE spell. Statues that once graced the Plaza of the Fortress as art are now released to assassinate the Baron and his guests.
THE BARON OF ROTHARN IS SLAIN
The Baron is mortally wounded. As he lies dying he slips his ring on some PC and declares him the new Baron of Rotharn.
Survival mostly, but if some PC guest can save the life of some prince or princess, they may wind up with a future love interest, or at least the gratitude of their parents. If some unwitting PC has been made the new Baron of Rotharn by this chain of events, he/she will be treated as such by the other guests.