Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Cramming Nerath/PoL into Mystaraby Brian Rubinfeld
I'm aware the idea was considered over a decade ago, but that thread created a Mystara that was heavily divergent and ultimately favored the 4E meta-setting tropes. My idea is an inversion, having Nerath fit into the internal logic of Mystara, bending its meta-plot/universe to fit Mystara's as well. So, why this madness? In short, my previous thread on using the Vale in non-4e rules made me ponder a RC/BECMI game, which lead to this idea. People have tried to place the newer races, but that's usually as far as I've seen. While a previous thread suggested between Rockhome and Alfheim, this doesn't quite suit my needs. If possible, I'd like to bring much of the map from the Conquest of Nerath board game. Short of a new continent, I'm wondering how this is feasible. My idea is hopping west of Brun and just either carving up a space or making a new small one wholesale in between Brun and eastern Skothar. That way, I can tie the Nerathi version of Barrier Peaks into Blackmoor, since the Thonian reaches wouldn't be too far away either. Now, why do I keep cooking up these simply crazy ideas? I'm not sure, but I'll still have at it!
In the meantime, I have a few ideas of twisting the universe itself.
- Shadow Fell is Limbo, more or less
- Fey Wild is the Realms of the Fey and/or The Spirit World
- Far Realm is Dimension of Nightmare
- Various Astral Sea dominions could be tossed into the Outer Planes where appropriate, perhaps merge them with some Sphere related philosophy
- Elemental Chaos/Abyss could be a corrupted Demiplane that samples the Elemental Planes' essences with Dimension of Nightmares and Entropy, maybe just the result of elementals pulled into Nightmare or Entropic realms
- Evil Primordials are the result of this hellish dimension tampering, some perhaps becoming Immortals of Entropy (maybe more wicked Energy?)
- Perhaps the Tieflings/Asmodeans could be something more akin to Diaboli (though I don't think these ever got PC stats till 3rd Edition?). I might ignore this one. I could just twist them into humanoids blighted by dark pacts with the forces of Nightmare or Entropy. Maybe Asmodeus is an Immortal of sorts, a fallen Diabolus?
- The Dragonborn though? Maybe an off-shoot of the races from the Arm of the Immortal that traveled and started its own empire in this new Nerath?