Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Pixieby Jamie Baty
RC, PC1 31
Hit Dice: 1d6+1 (4 hp)
Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 60 ft. (average)
Armour Class: 19 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +4 chain shirt, +1 buckler), touch 14, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: 0/-10
Attack: Tiny rapier +0 melee (1d3 -2)
Full Attack: Tiny rapier +0 melee (1d3 -2)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft. /0 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Communicate with animals, low-light vision, Faerie Traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 16
Skills: Diplomacy +7, Hide +9, Knowledge (local) +6, Listen +6, Move Silently +3, Search +4, Spot +6, Swim -12, Tumble +3, Use Magic Device +7
Environment: Temperate forests
Organisation: Solitary, Gang (2-5), Patrol (5-20), or Band (20-40)
Challenge Rating: 1
Alignment: Usually neutral good
Advancement: by character class
Level Adjustment: +1
Pixies and sprites are very similar fey creatures. Their attitudes and appearance are quite similar. The largest difference is pixies tend to pick martial classes and abilities, while sprites tend to be more arcane in their choices.
Pixies, despite their size, can be quite warlike and proud of their martial skills. They delight in swordplay.
Pixies are between one and two feet tall. They are usually red-headed. They have insect-like wings, green and translucent, sprouting from their backs. Their faces are round with pert, upturned noses and eyes that are often squinty and crossed. They have pointy, elvish-looking ears. Most wear green clothing.
Pixies are mischievous, graceful and whimsical. They love dancing by moonlight in fairy-rings, having various contests and games, and practical jokes. Perhaps their greatest joy is teasing the big races. Leading travellers astray (i.e. pixie-led) is one common joke, and the other common joke is to pester someone into looking clumsy and foolish (i.e. pixie-ridden.)
When dealing with wicked being, pixies are much more harmful in their jokes and pranks. Pixies loathe evil as a great ugliness, and will take action to remove it from their midst.
Pixies survive by living off the land and "borrowing" food from other races. Their claim that any apples left on the tree after harvest are theirs by right, is an extension of this "borrowing."
Pixies speak Fairy, Sylvan, Elvish, Halfling, Gnome, and the predominant local language. They may also speak Common, Dryad, Hsiao and other local languages.
Pixies tend to be friendly towards strangers, and will even be helpful. They, however, have no trouble defending themselves if threatened or endangered.
Pixies are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light and medium armours. They are proficient with all shields except for tower shields. One the whole they prefer light, elegant weapons such as rapiers.
Communicate with Animals (Ex): A pixie may communicate with animals as if he were permanently under the effect of a speak with animals spell.
Faerie Traits: As a Faerie, pixies have the following traits:
• Invisibility to Mortals (Sp): All faeries may become invisible to mortals at will as a standard action. This is the same as the invisibility spell except that creatures with second sight can see the subject normally.
• Second Sight (Ex): This is the ability common to all faeries and some mortals to be able to recognise a fey creature's true form even when invisible to mortals, polymorphed or shapechanged.
• Immunity to Normal Disease (Ex): Faeries are immune to all normal diseases but may still be affected by magical diseases such as mummy rot.
• Immortality (Ex): Faeries do not grow old. Death is merely a change in the cycle of their existence in which they become reborn as another faerie (in 0-999 years time).
• Holy Aversion (Ex): Faeries take 1d4 damage from Holy Water (no splash damage) and are made uncomfortable and tend to avoid Holy Symbols, Prayers or the names of the Immortals.
• Faeries cannot normally cast divine magic but, in the unlikely event that they would look for and find an immortal willing to accept them, they could trade all of the above traits for the opportunity to become a follower of that immortal.
Skills: A pixie always treats Use Magic Device as a class skill.
Pixies as Characters
A pixie character exchanges its 1HD of fey for its first class level.
A pixie's favoured class is fighter. Pixies are capable fighters and warriors. They also make for good rogues and bards. While not as magically inclined as sprites, they are excellent sorcerers and wizards. Pixies are unable to use divine magic, and are never clerics, druids, paladins or other divine magic-based classes.
Pixie characters possess the following racial traits.
• -4 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +2 Con, +4 Intelligence, +6 Charisma.
• Tiny size. +2 bonus to Armour Class, +2 bonus on attack rolls, +8 bonus on Hide checks, -8 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 1/2 those of Medium characters.
• A pixie's base land speed is 30 feet. They have a fly speed of 60' (average).
• Low-light vision.
• Skills: Use Magic Device is always a class skill for pixies.
• Weapon Proficiency: All simple and martial weapons.
• Armour Proficiency: All light and medium armours, all shields but tower shields.
• Special Qualities (see above): Communicate with Animals, Faerie Traits.
• Automatic Languages: Sylvan, Fairy, Elven Gnomish, Halfling, local language. Bonus Languages: Common, Dryad, Hsiao, other local languages.
• Favoured Class: Fighter.
• Level adjustment +1