Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Gridbug Swarmby Jamie Baty
Diminutive Magical Beast (Extraplanar, Swarm)
Hit Dice: 2d10 (9 hp)
Initiative: +4 (+4 Dex)
Speed: fly 20 ft. (average)
Armour Class: 18 (+4 size, +4 Dex), touch 18, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-
Attack: (Swarm 1d6)
Full Attack: (Swarm 1d6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft. /0 ft.
Special Attacks: Distraction, paralysis
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft., low-light vision, Swarm Traits
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +0
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 19, Con 8, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +5
Environment: Any land, Smoking Mirror Pocket Dimension
Organisation: Solitary, Cluster (2-5), or Nest (5-20)
Challenge Rating: 2
Alignment: Always neutral
Level Adjustment: -
A gridbug swarm is comprised of 5,000 young gridbugs occupying a 10ft x 10ft x 10ft cube. They are diminutive versions of the giant version presented earlier. Eventually the individuals of the swarm grow into the giant form.
These bugs swarm over anything in their path.
Paralysis (Ex): Any creature damaged by a gridbug swarm must make a fortitude save vs DC 10 (Con based) or be paralysed for 10-40 minutes.
Swarm Subtype: A grid bug swarm has the following traits:
• A swarm has no clear front or back and no discernible anatomy, so it is not subject to critical hits or flanking.
• The swarm is immune to all normal weapon damage.
• Reducing a swarm to 0 hit points or lower causes it to break up, though damage taken until that point does not degrade its ability to attack or resist attack.
• Swarms are never staggered or reduced to a dying state by damage.
• Swarms cannot be tripped, grappled, or bull rushed, and they cannot grapple an opponent.
• A swarm is immune to any spell or effect that targets a specific number of creatures (including single-target spells such as disintegrate), with the exception of mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). A swarm takes half again as much damage (+50%) from spells or effects that affect an area, such as splash weapons and many evocation spells.
• Gridbug swarms are susceptible to high winds such as that created by a gust of wind spell. For purposes of determining the effects of wind on a swarm, treat the swarm as a creature of the same size as its constituent creatures.
• A swarm rendered unconscious by means of nonlethal damage becomes disorganised and dispersed, and does not reform until its hit points exceed its nonlethal damage.
Swarm Attack: A gridbug swarm automatically damages any creature within squares occupied by the swarm.
Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to a swarm's damage that begins its turn with a swarm in its square is nauseated for 1 round; a Fortitude save (DC 10) negates the effect. Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 20 Concentration check.