Atlas Rules Resources Adventures Stories FAQ Search Links
Trolls of Mystaraby Håvard
Trolls are a unique race in Mystara. While some believe they are related to the Beastman descended races, the Northern Reaches Gazetteer suggests that this is a much older race. They may likely be related to Giants (see below). The main stronghold of the Known World Trolls is Trollhattan in the Brokenlands. It was founded by Vestland Trolls (mainly Root Trolls) in 1299 BC. The current ruler of Trollhattan is Mistress Haa'k Hordar. The following Troll races are found in Mystara:
- Root Troll (Monstrum Carnivorus Maximum). This is the most common troll race, known for its ability to regenerate. It is possible that this gift was gained through interbreeding with Beastmen (or eating them). They are common all over the Known World, especially in the Trollhattan region of the Brokenlands. They are often found in swamps and marshlands. Sources: Gaz 10, Gaz 7.
- Giant Troll (Mountain Troll, Fjelltroll, Fjalltrolde). These gigantic trolls are rarely seen these days. It is possible that these were the the original troll race, perhaps descended themselves from the Jotuns or Great Giants, a near Immortal race. Source: Gaz 7 The Northern Reaches
- Rock Troll (Bergtroll, Bjergtrolde). Found in the Northern Reaches and Norwold. These trolls sometimes go into a state of long sleep where their bodies become rocklike and indistinguishable from nature. Source: Gaz 7 The Northern Reaches
- Earth Troll (Jordtroll, Jordtrolde). Found in the Northern Reaches and Norwold. These trolls sometimes go into a state of long sleep where their bodies become rocklike and indistinguishable from nature. Source: Gaz 7 The Northern Reaches
- Forest Troll (Skogtroll, Skovtrolde, Monstrum Imbecilus Rex). These Trolls are fairly common, found in the woodlands and hills all over the Known World. Source: Gaz 10 - The Orcs of Thar. A variant of these were also described in Dragon #158's article An Orc is a Norke by Ethan Ham, where they were given longbows.
- Arctic Troll (Monstrum Eroneus Hyberianus). Found in Hyboria, Arctic regions, glaciers and high mountains. Source: Gaz 10 - The Orcs of Thar
- True Troll. These trolls were common at the time of Blackmoor. Source: Dave Arneson: The First Fantasy Campaign.
- Gargantua Troll Sometimes mistaken for the Giant Trolls (see above), these rare beings are the creations of the wizard Gargantua. Several of these are found in Norwold. Source: D&D Companion Set (BECMI)
- On the humorous latin names: These are names given to his subject races by King Thar. I have not created latin names for trolls
- On other naming issues: I have added Scandinavian names where appropriate. I also added the names Mountain Troll, Forest Troll and Arctic Troll to those races to create a more unified convention of naming.
- Thoul. Different theories exist on the origins of this race, but Troll Blood is most likely involved. Source: D&D Basic Set.
- Gnoll. Created by the Nithians, Troll blood was most likely used in the their creation. Sources: D&D Basic Set, Gaz2 Emirates of Ylaruam,
- Jotun (Great Giant). These near Immortal Giants may be the true ancestors of all trolls. Source: Gaz 7 The Northern Reaches
Most trolls have little interest in Immortals. The only known troll to ever reach Immortality is Bagni Gullymaw, a patron of gluttony. The few Troll Shamans in existence tend to follow Jammudaru instead.